Sunday, February 12, 2012

Video of teacher Warm-ups

Teaching Video

In this video I am explaining a problem from the homework that my students had trouble with. I try to answer questions about homework problems proceeding the warm-up everyday. This allows my students who did the homework to check their answers and the ones who didn't still have a chance to see how its done.

Untitled from Michael Gaudern on Vimeo.


After watching the video I was able to see that I did a good job walking around the classroom. What I was looking for was students who had the information down on their papers. Making sure students are take notes is essential to learning. I noticed that the next day when we talked about the concept of change in x and y my students seemed to answer the questions I was asking. I made sure to ask the same question multiple ways and call on different students to see were the learning had occurred. Looking at the film I noticed that I had a group of students not engaged in the lesson. The next day I took the time to ask them if they had seen this material before and they said they did. This allowed me to structure my teaching and questioning for future lessons. One of the challenges I observed was that I was not clear on all my questions. I also feel by stating my questions in complete sentences I could possibly get more participation. I also feel by calling on students would take away from the same students calling out the answers aloud. I learned that my students were able to make jumps from one idea to the next if they are given a base of information. I feel by asking shorter questions I would be able to get more students involved and be able to assess their understanding better.

2 comments:

  1. Video came through very clear. Tough concept === vertical vs horizontal and slope vs no slope. 80% probably get that confused forever, and certainly it occurs on all major tests (SAT, State, etc.). You made some great observations and based on them already modified your instruction for the following day. That speaks to the power of video and reflection. Thanks, Brandon, for sharing, and next session we'll be doing some peer-observations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Strengths - As you had noted, you do move through the classroom well. You did have a tendency to stay to the right hand side, and as you are right handed this is not surprising (something my principal pointed out to me in an observation earlier this year that I do as well). Your knowledge of content is also great. You are able to convey this to your students in your demeanor when talking to them.
    2. Evidence of Student Learning - You do solicit answers to your questions from students, the verbal response from a few muted students does show student understanding. Picking people at random can help here (just keep in mind your students that shut down when called out) with gauging wider understanding.
    3. Total Learner Engagement - As you point out in your reflection, all students are not engaged. There is the young lady flipping her hair about in the foreground at the beginning of the film. You do have a great deal of students at least facing the board and you as you talk through the problem.
    4. Evidence of Varied Abilities Addressed - Review of a homework problem, none observed, I don't really see any problem with that though. You're likely explaining it in a different fashion than you did the class session before.
    5. Role in Supporting Learning - Teacher was walking students through a homework problem involving vertical and horizontal lines. Teacher was explaining them in terms of delta x and delta y.
    6. Challenge - You, for the most part, speak fairly clearly and loudly enough such that you can be heard from anywhere in the room. Your subtle quip about the sun may have been better received had it not trailed off into the distance (or sunset, however you like it). By directing words to specific students (it really doesn't matter to whom) you can get greater involvement because students never know when you'll be talking to "them" vs. someone else.
    7. Tweaks - I might have students explain how they understand the concept to the rest of the class or to their group. You have students in table groups that would facilitate this nicely.

    ReplyDelete